Sunday, December 24, 2017

Light Morgan's Candle on Christmas 2017


Christmas is upon us. A time for rebirth of our faith and hope for the future. We are reminded so vividly of the very first Christmas present... a parent’s love for their child. 

Time has marched on as it does and has done its worst. And yet once again, I am asking you to light a candle on Christmas Day.

Last year on Christmas Day, candles were lit literally around the world… California, Oregon, Indiana, New York, Virginia, Florida, Oklahoma, other states and of course, our own beloved Texas.  Even Germany, England and Australia checked in and showed candles which burned brightly on that day bringing the light of love and hope to an otherwise darkened heart and in remembrance of my beloved daughter, Morgan. 

The journey after my beloved daughter, Morgan was taken on October 30 2016 has been unexpected, unforeseen and draining. And in many ways, has just begun.  

At Morgan's "Celebration of Life," when I spoke, I said that she had "The Heart of a Lioness and the Soul of a Warrior." And yet after that time, I came to grips with the reality that my anguish manifested itself in a barely controlled internal rage. I instinctively knew that unless I got very busy addressing that rage, keeping it at bay, it would consume me.  And in that rage, or despite that rage, a path began to be revealed. My soul was revealed and its purpose was made clear. I now firmly believe that we are subjected to the trials and tribulations in life to not only test our will, but to groom us, to prepare us for an ultimate challenge that could by its immensity, otherwise break us. However, each and every day is a challenge.  A challenge of the heart.  A challenge of the soul. 

2017 saw the birth of The Morgan Foundation. My daughter is dead.  And “business as usual” is not acceptable. I have found that the eating disorder industry is a mess of self-interest, silo mentality and provincial thought processes with very little innovative thinking.  They are putting a “my little pony” band-aide on a compound fracture.  That is not acceptable. 

So this past year, a few television appearances, producing three part radio shows on eating disorders, TEDx talks, writing white papers and blogs, helping a number of young people get back into treatment and now, pursuing legislation (through political advisors) to amend the Texas Organ Donation law to include tissue and other biologic material.  So, why is this important?  These materials from people who die as a result of mental illnesses can go to UT Southwestern and other research institutions for study and research into not only eating disorders but all mental illnesses.  And that is only the first step. 

That rage has been controlled by my soul.  And I have given myself over to let events come to me on this path.  And yet, I will never give up.  I will never relent. There is too much work to do… too many lives to save. And the mission that Morgan started as set forth in her journals will be carried forward by her foundation.

Morgan’s Christmas gift to me last year is repeated again this year and will be repeated every year … that is a child’s unconquerable, unstoppable, unconditional love for her daddy.  For truly, if a parent's love for their child is the very first Christmas gift, then surely, a child's love for their parent... that candle of life, burning so brightly in a parent's heart and soul is the perfect way to say "thank you" for that first Christmas gift.

Once again on Christmas Day or Evening, 8 weeks and one year to the moment she left me, I will light a candle in Morgan's honor, will recite the Lord's Prayer and will look to our tomorrow's with hope, with faith, with strength, with resolve and with love.  

I feel darkness and anguish gripping me as it never has before. And yet, I still pray, I hope for one brief moment, one silent moment, I will find peace.  I urge all of you for just one perfect moment on one silent night...not just in your head, but in your heart and in your soul, rejoice that you are loved and that you love others. Hug your children, tell them you love them, and know, know for an absolute certainty, that the love you feel is unconditional and all powerful. 

One candle to light the way.  To illuminate the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site

Because of various issues with blogger being unable to link with various social media outlets, I have begun posting at the following embedd...